Garden watering cans are designed to take care of the plants in your garden. They increase in volume to 3 liters or more, unlike their indoor counterparts. Most models consist of a plastic or metal body and a sprayer with dozens of holes.
Garden watering cans are divided into groups according to different criteria – the volume of the container, material of manufacture, type of construction, and conditions of use. It is important to understand the purpose of buying the tool because each plant has its own watering characteristics.
Depending on the material, the garden watering cans offered in stores are divided into two groups
They are light and have a low material density. Therefore, the weight of plastic products does not exceed 500 grams (volume of 10 liters).
Other features of these models include.
- rich colors: watering cans are painted in bright colors – green, red, blue. This solution makes practical sense – colored instruments are more easily seen in the garden.
- Molded construction: Plastic products do not require any connectors. They have no seams or joints, so the chance of leakage is minimal.
- Cheap price: Plastic shower heads start at a few dollars. Cost is affected by the volume of the tool and the quality of the material.
- Plastic’s Achilles heel is its susceptibility to climate change. The material can deform under the influence of direct sunlight and sub-zero temperatures. The presence of polymers in the composition mitigates this factor but does not eliminate it completely.
To determine the quality of the plastic, it is best to examine the surface with light. If it has a cloudy hue and is covered with streaks, then the item is made of recycled plastic. Such items are characterized by the absence of quality and reliability. Another warning sign is a pungent odor from the material.
Highlighted by the level of durability and weight. A product made of metal weighs twice as much as a plastic product (when considering the same volume). Due to its weight, steel models are not suitable for all gardeners.
The advantages of this material include.
- long service life. If properly cared for, metal products can last for years or even decades.
- Unaffected by weather: Steel parts will not react to frost or heat. Leaving them in the hot sun or sub-zero temperatures is not a problem.
- Cleaning effect: High-quality metal tools with copper and zinc in their composition are antiseptic and bactericidal to water.
- When buying a metal watering can, you should be prepared in advance to take care of this tool. If the container is not dried, corrosion will form at the bottom over time. Consider also that metal is more expensive than plastic. Prices for quality steel watering cans start at $30.
Some gardeners are advised to avoid metal watering cans that are welded together. Such designs have a greater risk of leaks because they depend directly on the quality of the joints.
Things to Look for When Buying
Gardeners have many factors to consider when choosing a watering can – from the purpose of use to the size of the area to be treated.
The following criteria are the most important.
Stores sell garden watering cans with volumes of 3, 5, 7, and 10 liters – these options are considered the most common. The choice is based on the size of the garden and the gardener’s physical ability. 10-liter containers are ideal for working with large areas, as they do not require frequent refilling.
Most models are supplied with a nozzle by default, but it is not always necessary. For watering shrubs and trees, you need a powerful jet that waters directly from the spout. Seedlings and flowers need a sprayer to reduce the force of the water flow and disperse it. If needed, you can purchase additional nozzles – make sure the diameter of the nozzle matches the diameter of the model’s spout.
On some models, there are special markings that indicate the amount of water to be poured. This option is useful when fertilizing plants. The solution requires a certain amount of water, which must be measured accurately.
The number of handles. There are single and double-handle models of waterers. The double handle makes it easy to change the position of the tool while watering and to hold it from both sides at the same time. One handle is placed on the top of the tool and the other on the side. Double handles are most often installed on plastic models but are also seen on metal models.
- Design Features
There are two distinctive features of successful watering can design – the spout is near the bottom and the handle is not placed directly over the watering hole. The first factor has to do with the ease of watering – the higher the spout, the more unused water remains at the bottom. The second factor is responsible for the speed at which water is pumped. If the approach to the hole is blocked by the handle, it will take more time and effort to fill it.
It is not possible to purchase one universal watering can to do all the tasks. Therefore, experienced gardeners have several models in their arsenal in varying quantities. For small flower beds, 3-5 liter containers are used. For shrub care and other large tasks, 7-10 liter containers are used.
In RunSun’s electronic catalog you will find a wide range of garden tools and watering cans. You can learn about metal or plastic watering cans with two clicks in the online catalog based on various customizations regarding quantity/design/price. Customize watering cans for houseplants or design gardens here, we offer delivery service – air & sea, please contact us.